- The Graduation requirement will begin in the 2017-18 school year.
- School districts, public school academies and non-public schools must provide instruction in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) to pupils.
- Training must include a psychomotor component.
- Licensed teachers are not required to be certified as a CPR/AED instructor in order to instruct students.
- CPR courses that result in certification must be taught by a certified CPR/AED instructor.
- The pupil must be physically present for the instruction and to participate in all aspects of the training unless the pupil is physically unable.
- An instructional program developed by the American Red Cross, The American Heart Association or a nationally recognized company who provides evidence-based guidelines for CPR.
Excerpts from Bill
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT: 1 SEC. 1170A. (1) BY NOT LATER THAN THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR, 2 THE DEPARTMENT SHALL ENSURE THAT THE MODEL CORE ACADEMIC CURRICULUM 3 CONTENT STANDARDS FOR HEALTH EDUCATION AND THE SUBJECT AREA CONTENT 4 EXPECTATIONS AND GUIDELINES FOR HEALTH EDUCATION UNDER SECTION 5 1278A PROVIDE FOR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING: 6 (A) INSTRUCTION IN CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION FOR PUPILS 7 ENROLLED IN GRADES 7 TO 12. SUBJECT TO SUBSECTION (5), THE CONTENT 8 STANDARDS AND SUBJECT AREA CONTENT EXPECTATIONS SHALL ENSURE THAT 9 THE PSYCHOMOTOR SKILLS NECESSARY TO PERFORM CARDIOPULMONARY 2 S04267’15 (H-3) TAV 1 RESUSCITATION ARE INCORPORATED INTO THE INSTRUCTION AND THAT THE 2 INSTRUCTION IS BASED ON EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING:
Excerpts from State Board of Education
Student CPR Programs that Meet This RequirementThese programs will qualify for Michigan's CPR Training Graduation Requirement:
|Supplies Needed||Adult Manikin||Adult & Infant Manikin, AED Trainer|
|Initial Evaluator Training Time||20-30 minutes||4-5 hours|
|Online Course Time||1 hour training, 20 minute test||1 hour training, 20 minute test|
|Hands-On Time (per group)||5-10 minutes||20-25 minutes|
|Certification Level||No certification||2-year Community CPR Certification|
|Cost for Students & Evaluators||FREE||FREE|