CPR is not just becoming mandatory for students, but for teachers as well. In most states where they have required teachers to know CPR and First Aid, they are adding it to the teaching certificate curriculum as part of certification or re-certification.
Now that we’ve taken care of the students with our free Student CPR program, let us assist you in getting a group quote for all the teachers in your school. We also have anaphylaxis training available here.
Here is a map of known states where it is mandatory. The red states are clickable and have more information about the requirements in that state. Below the map is a list where you can find the rest of the states.
There are bills in many states that are in various stages of implementation.
Known states where it is currently mandatory:
- Alabama (For P.E. teachers. Health and Sports Management during education at least, but would be a good idea to keep current.)
- Alaska (For school staff trained in de-escalation, restraint, and seclusion.)
- Colorado (Requires at least one staff member.)
- District of Columbia (Washington D.C.) (For Driver’s Ed and P.E. Teachers.)
- Illinois (Driver’s Ed Teachers, other teachers encouraged.)
- Iowa (Only for P.E. / Health Teachers)
- Maryland (Early Childhood Development, Only Supervisory Teachers)
- Michigan (DOE lists ProTrainings as an approved provider. For initial certification for all teachers.)
- Minnesota (For P.E. Teachers. Researching Special Ed. based on feedback.)
- New York
- Texas (Only for P.E. Teachers.)
- Utah (Health / P.E. / Driver’s Ed Teachers.)
- Vermont (Health / P.E. Teachers.)
- Virginia (HB 2028, SB 986 – Approved March 18, 2013)
- West Virginia
Known states where bills have been introduced (as of October 30, 2017):
States where CPR is not yet required for teachers:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
If we’re missing any states where bills are being introduced, please let us know with this form:
Bring the program to your school
Want your school to take part in the Student CPR program?
Submit Your School!
Share this map: