- Graduation requirement effective immediately or 2017/2018 school year.
- Training must include CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), AED (automated external defibrillator) and basic first aid.
- School districts are encouraged to offer the training in a health enhancement class at the high school level.
- The CPR training must include a hands on component.
- The training must comply with current evidence-based guidelines from the American Heart Association or another national science organization.
Excerpts from Bill
(1) The office of public instruction shall, in consultation with school districts, the department of public health and human services, the American heart association, and the American red cross, provide guidance and technical support and make available a program of study to Montana schools on:
(a) basic first aid;
(b) basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation; and
(c) the use of automated external defibrillators.
(2) The guidance and program of study under subsection (1) must comply with current evidence-based guidance from the American heart association or another national science organization.
Excerpts from State Board of Education
Student CPR Programs that Meet This Requirement
|Supplies Needed||Adult Manikin||Adult & Infant Manikin, AED Trainer|
|Initial Evaluator Training Time||20-30 minutes||4-5 hours|
|Online Course Time||1 hour training, 20 minute test||1 hour training, 20 minute test|
|Hands-On Time (per group)||5-10 minutes||20-25 minutes|
|Certification Level||No certification||2-year Community CPR Certification|
|Cost for Students & Evaluators||FREE||FREE|